LIGHTLAB 1.3 OPERATING SYSTEM UPDATE
Orange Photonics is pleased to introduce a major firmware release. This release is will provide significantly increased performance and ease of use. The update includes the following improvements among others:
- Improved accuracy across all sample types
- Integrated bubble detection reduces sample failures by 90%
- New user interface that supports several cannabis product types
- Ability to update via SD card, enabling both Mac and Windows users
NOTE: This update involves accessing core components of your LightLab. Care must be taken to follow these directions exactly to avoid rendering your LightLab inoperable. Contact email@example.com or 603-573-9212 ext. 2 if any problems are encountered during update.
What You Will Need
Before you begin confirm you have all the components below:
- Your LightLab
- LightLab charger
- Windows PC
- Internet connection
- USB cable with a micro connector on one end (supplied with your LightLab)
- USB port on your PC (or USB hub connected to your PC)
- SD card reader or USB SD card reader (there is a converter supplied with your LightLab)
- .LLU Update file (provided via email- contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not have this file)
Basic Update Steps
This update will require 3 basic steps, as outlined below:
- Load Serial Driver onto your computer
- Install 1.2-1.3 transitional updater on your LightLab.
- Load 1.3 update onto an SD card and run 1.3 update on your LightLab.
Start Your Update
Step 1: Prepare the LightLab
- Connect Charger – Connect the LightLab charger to the unit to ensure your LightLab will not power-down during the update process.
- Power On – Power on LightLab, wait for the self-test process to complete. Select “Skip Warmup” in the bottom right corner. Once the screen shows “Select Sample Type” proceed to the next step. Do not touch the screen until the update is complete.
- Remove SD Card- Remove the SD card from LightLab and set it aside for now. You will need it again in Step 6. If you do not have an SD card contact Orange Photonics support.
Step 2: Download and install the USB Serial Driver
A USB Serial Driver is a bit of software that allows Windows to talk to the LightLab across the USB cable. This Driver may already be installed on your PC, but you should run the Installer just to be sure.
- Double Check – Ensure that the USB cable is NOT connected to the LightLab.
- Download the Serial Installer – Click here to download OP Serial Install.exe. If your browser warns you about downloading this file, just ignore the warning and proceed with the download.
- Open the file – Once the download is complete, open the file (this will run the Installer). Note some computers may display a warning. If so, click “More Info” and then select “Run Anyway”:
- If the Driver is already installed (as shown here), just click Done.
- If the Driver is not installed, click Install and complete the installation.
Step 2. USB Serial Driver Installation
Step 3: Connect the USB cable
The USB cable has a large connector (the “A” end) and a small connector (the “Micro B” end). Connect the A end to your PC (or hub), and connect the Micro B end to the LightLab. Note that USB connectors have a “top” and “bottom” so you might need to flip the connector to get it to plug in.
Step 3. Connect the USB
Step 4. Download and run LightLab Updater
Step 4: Download and run the LightLab 1.2-1.3 Updater
The Updater will install a transitional version of the 1.2 firmware that will allow the final update to complete via SD Card.
- Download the LightLab Updater – Click here to download the LightLab Updater. If your browser warns you about downloading this file, just ignore the warning and proceed with the download.
- Open the file to run the Updater. Note some computers may display a warning. If so, click “More Info” and then select “Run Anyway”. The Updater will first ask you to connect to the LightLab. If the USB cable is connected and Serial Driver is installed, the Updater will find the “port”. If a warning displays “LightLab Not Found” try rebooting the LightLab and then select “Try Again”
- Click Connect – Once connected, the Updater will retrieve current information from the LightLab, then retrieve update information for this unit from the Internet.
Step 5: Install 1.2-1.3 Update
The Updater should display that there is an “Update Available”. Contact support if the updater says that no updates are available:
- Press the Install Update button to install these updates. The Updater will show progress as it installs the updates:
Step 5: Verify the Transitional Updater is Running
Once the update is complete, your LightLab will reboot and ask you to insert the SD card with updater. If a notice appears that says “No updates found on SD Card” that’s ok- the update hasn’t been loaded onto the SD card yet. The USB cable can be now be disconnected from the LightLab.
Step 6: Prepare SD Card
Insert the SD card into your computer either directly or through an SD card USB reader. Copy the file emailed to you from Orange Photonics Support to the SD card. This file should have the extension “.llu” for example the file may be named “XXXXX.llu” where XXXXX represents the updater filename. If you do not have the required file contact Orange Photonics Support.
Once the updater file is on the SD Card, insert the SD card back into your LightLab.
Step 7: Allow Update to Complete
After the SD card is inserted a 10 second timer will count down and the 1.3 update will begin. Note this update will take 3-4 minutes. The screen and LEDs may flash as the update progresses and the LightLab will reboot to continue updating. DO NOT turn off the LightLab or disconnect the power from the instrument during this process.
Step 8: Check Update Status
After the update has completed, the software will restart. Once LightLab completes a self test, select “Skip Warmup” at the bottom right of the screen. Next, select the gear icon to go to settings. Select the “Support” button in the middle of the screen. On this page, you can view your software version. You should now see 1.3.XXX, where XXX is the software build currently on your instrument.
Since many of the functions have changed, we highly recommend reviewing the updated LightLab Users Guide.
If you have any questions please contact Orange Photonics Customer Support at (603) 573-9212 x 2 or email@example.com.